The organization name (also called the Registrant Name) for a .CA domain name is not a modifiable field and thus cannot be changed through the Manage Interface.
If you wish to modify the Organization name, you are transferring the ownership to a new owner and hence are changing the ownership of a domain.
To change the ownership of a domain, a “Registrant Transfer” must occur. This transfer is not like a “Registrar Transfer”, and it is a manual process!
The standard yearly charge applies for this type of Registrant Transfer, as it does renew the domain name for an additional one year period.
To start the process, you must contact your provider with the new ownership details. Your Provider will then submit the Registrant Transfer request to us.
The Registrant Transfer is a complex process requiring numerous confirmations from both the old and new Registrant! For this reason, below you will find the steps involved in the transfer (as many people do not reply to the required confirmations and the request then times out!)
Here is the process:
Step 1: Creating the new Registrant Profile for the new owner
- The new Registrant information is submitted to CIRA
- CIRA sends a confirmation email to Administrative Contact of NEW Registrant Profile.
- The Administrative Contact of NEW Registrant Profile must follow the directions in CIRA’s email to approve/confirm the new profile.
Step 2: Transferring the domain from the OLD Registrant Profile to the NEW Registrant Profile
- We initiate a transfer of domain from the OLD Registrant Profile to the NEW Registrant Profile.
- CIRA sends a confirmation email to Administrative Contact of the OLD Registrant Profile regarding the transfer.
- The Administrative Contact of the OLD Registrant must follow the directions in CIRA’s email to approve of the changes/transfer. They must also have access to their CIRA username/password to confirm these changes.
- Once the OLD Registrant has confirmed/approved of the transfer CIRA then sends a email to the Registrar (ie: Tucows) regarding transfer.
- We must go to CIRA’s site to approve transfer.
- Once Tucows confirms the transfer, CIRA sends a confirmation email to the Administrative Contact listed for the NEW Registrant Profile regarding the transfer.
- The Administrative Contact of the NEW Registrant Profile must agree to transfer by following the directions in CIRA’s confirmation email (using their new CIRA username/password).
Given the various steps, the ownership transfer can take some time to complete.